*********************************

Friday, April 26, 2013

Quick thoughts of the NFL Draft 1st Round

I'm not a fan of draft grades, in fact I hate them.  There are certain players who will succeed on certain teams, and fail on others.  It is crapshoot, where players who should succeed don't and others who have limited upside become pro bowlers.  I look for teams to draft players for need, or take players who drop, but are clearly talented players.  With that said, here are my thoughts....

Any team that has two first round picks usually receive praise for the job they did.  For Minnesota, great job taking a highly touted tackle, and corner back, to help their immediate needs.  The selection of Patterson looks good, I'm just leery or trading back in the first round, when you already had two selections.  Good job, now they can take today off.

Now I'm not going to pretend I'm a draft expert, where teams employ staff to scout players, but I'm not a big fan of Miami or Detroit taking pass rushers, who haven't produced great stats.  Too high of picks to be taking purely upside, I would have preferred some more production.

NY Jets-- I know you like defense, but you do know the league is geared towards offense.  Seattle and San Fran have great defenses, but both have explosive QBs and running backs.  You need to grab some weapons, I'm assuming round two and three you get some playmakers.  With two first round picks, one of the picks should have went to the offensive, probably even both of them.

I'm actually fine with the bills selection of EJ Manuel.  You need to have strong arm to play in buffalo, he is fast, and at 6'5 and 240, definitely a big QB.  You hear people say he would have been there in round two, if you like him don't take the chance, draft him now.  I don't think he would have lasted until round 3, so a one round early selection doesn't bother me.

Cardinals--nice pick of Jonathon Cooper.  Don't outthink the room, get offensive line help.

Is it me, or does the NFC West make moves to counteract each team.  Rams get an explosive receiver, San Fran gets Eric Reid, a safety to help cover.

Speaking of San Fran, and my friend will probably disagree with my, but Dallas to trade down and get only a third round pick in addition to the first?  Not a great move, should have gotten more for the move.  I do like the pick, good big ten lineman, it would have been a shame that no big ten players went drafted.

Lets see how tonight goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking in.

ESPN.com - NFL

Sirius

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.